15/2/11 – Materials Scarcity – Have Your Say in the UK on 16 March 2011
15 February 2011
The Science and Technology Group of Materials UK is holding a Town Meeting on Wednesday 16 March at the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, 1 Carlton House Terrace, London.
The aim of the Town meeting is to consult with the materials supply chain and community on the issue of Materials Scarcity.
There has already been much debate on the subject of critical materials supply both in the UK and the European Union. The materials community has a vital role to play in driving this work forward and developing technological solutions which will ensure that the UK will remain at the forefront of global materials science and technology.
The debate with the materials community began at last December’s Materials KTN Building on Success event and which the following key points were raised:
• There is a need to understand exactly which materials are critical and in which applications.
• What is the exact timescale for the exhaustion of existing and future raw materials supply?
• Where does recycling become the economically viable option?
• What new processes for recycling and recovery of materials need to be developed and should incentives be offered to encourage adoption?
• Does the UK have the recycling infrastructure and capability to undertake the necessary materials recycling?
• What research is needed to develop recycling technology and effective materials substitution?
• Should business solve this issue or is it a matter for the Government?
• There is a need to design products for recycling. Does the design community have a role to play in making the use of recycled materials more acceptable in the marketplace?
• Will different sourcing models be needed in the future?
• What is the role of innovation in addressing this challenge?
The town meeting aims to address some of these issues in order to feedback to UK Government and Technology Strategy Board.
Further, more focussed group meetings will be held in March to further develop the views and ideas emerging from the Town Meeting.
To attend the town meeting, please register your interest with Jackie Butterfield atJackie.Butterfield@materialsktn.net